Can you feel it already? The tightness in your shoulders? The shortness of breath? The pit in your stomach when you think about your long list of things to do as we lean into December?
We feel it-the inevitable busyness that comes with the holiday season. We feel it-the signals within our bodies telling us to slow down. This time of year can set us on a slow, destructive path if we don’t listen and pay attention. We must listen, pay attention and be deliberate with how we take care of ourselves.
That’s where self-care comes in. We know what you’re thinking. Where do we find the time with our laundry list of to-do’s, parties to attend, presents to wrap? And it might seem counter-intuitive to put aside some time for yourself over the next few weeks, but it’s necessary to remain healthy and sane. By taking time for self-care, you can:
- Prevent illness by not running your immune system into the ground.
- Prevent irritability by not being tightly wound.
- Better process those sweet treats that come with holiday parties by paying attention to your gut.
- Prevent and soften anxiety.
Sounds great, right? But how do we fit it all in?
Easy: We change how we think about self-care. We make it a priority. We deliberately take time to regenerate.
Here’s a few ideas to create a self care ritual this December:
- Meditate. We know you’ve heard this a million times, but you can do this one minute meditation by Spirit Junkie, Gabby Bernstein, before bed three nights a week. We think you can spare three minutes!
- Look at your calendar and mark one hour (any time during the week!) each week where you practice yoga. Do not let anything else interrupt you and listen to what your body, mind and soul crave. Do I need to move quickly? Do I need to slow down? Do I need to lay in savasana?
- Don’t skimp on your supplements and vitamins! Take your daily and support with supplements that add in vegetables, fruits and berries. We prefer Juice Plus to keep us balanced.
- Set a bedtime. This one might be little tricky with gatherings to attend, but we promise it makes a difference.
- Draw a warm bath and add essential oils. We prefer doTERRA and this simple anxiety buster: Frankincense – 10 drops, Lavender – 5 drops, Bergamot – 5 drops.
Now’s the time to create a Self Care Ritual and declare your physical, mental and spiritual health as important as that family gathering your adding to your calendar.